The Idea of DNS
DNS · The Necessary Teacher Training College provides non-traditional teacher education and offers a 3-year international bachelor in pedagogy in close cooperation with One World University, Mozambique.
The DNS programme combines hands-on experiences with theoretical knowledge, emphasising a learning by doing approach and community living.
The result is progressive teachers who can respond to the challenges of our time across social and cultural divisions, wherever it is needed – and that is everywhere.
Since DNS was established in 1972, over 1.000 teacher graduates have played an important role in bringing equitable quality education to children and youth, as well as developing education and development programmes worldwide.
Now we know, now we understand, now we act
Our key mission is to equip teachers with the necessary skills and knowledge to take action against global injustice. Our school encourages students to adopt a collaborative mindset, working together with other good forces, in the fight for universal human rights, peace, justice and dignity. Our students are inspired by DNS’s slogan: Now we know, now we understand, now we act.
More on how this is carried out in practice
DNS · The Necessary Teacher Training College has a clear, perspective-full and concretely directed idea of what it wants to achieve in respect to equipping the students with relevant practical and theoretical knowledge, skills and practices. The aim is, that each student, and the student body, become able to act with others in the present reality.
To us, the teachers at the school, “clear” means looking without prejudice or media bias at the present time, counting matters for what they really are, and seeking the truth even though this must be done by looking behind a curtain of statements or comments from the lobbying guard of “fair and balanced commentators”. We prefer to see for ourselves. Speak with people who can tell us what happened, because they were there. And so on.
Becoming Another Kind of Teacher
As a “DNSer” – a student at DNS – you will be challenged in a variety of contexts:
- learning from realities outside the traditional school realm
- arranging political, cultural and sports events
- acting together with the poor of this world
- fighting climate change
- leading a group of children
- creating learning set-ups for youngsters
- providing a safe and friendly environment for everybody at the campus, including residents at the care homes
- earning from people from all walks of life
- meeting international communities and their cultures
- acting to make things better
Our varied learning environment challenges and develops our students, enabling them to make a real impact in the world.
"Each student and the student body, become able to act with others in the present reality."
The programme is original in its perspective, strong in structure and rich in content. It is broad in outlook and demanding with regard to reflection and practical action. It constantly relates to the world of today in general, and the human condition in particular.
The 1st Year of DNS
The International Field of Practice
…where you will travel to western Africa in your own bus.
- Travel overland to Guinea Bissau
- Do field investigations
- Learn about globalisation and capitalism
- Share your experiences back in Europe
The 2nd Year of DNS
The European Field of Practice
…where you will experience & influence a local community somewhere in Europe.
- Live in a European city with your team
- Learn from the working class
- Create campaigns to promote sustainability, peace & education in your local community
The 3rd Year of DNS
The School Reality
…where you will learn the trade of a Teacher
- Teach in a school
- Create projects with your students
- Learn about pedagogical theories
- Hone your skills to become Another Kind of Teacher