Overview of the 3-year teacher training / bachelor programme
The programme aims to equip students to become proficient teachers / educators / pedagogues who understand what is important in this world, and who can act to meet the challenges of the future.
Below you find a schematic overview of the different study / practice / travel periods of the programme.
EXPERIENCING AND UNDERSTANDING THE GLOBAL REALITY
Preparation for a 4-month bus travel. Studies about politics, big issues of our time and training in efficient team work.
|ON THE ROAD
Bus travel through Europe, North Africa and the Sahara Desert and further to Sub-Saharan Africa. Investigating topics related to political, economic, social or cultural aspects of the countries. Establishing authentic understanding of Global Reality.
|BRINGING IT TO THE PUBLIC
Spreading the new knowledge to people in Europe, giving lessons and workshops for determined public. Studying subjects relevant for the activities within the period.
|SAVING UP PERIOD
Saving up money with employment or other productive means to collectively accumulate the money that are needed to support innovative ideas and travels of DNS students.
|Subjects||The African continent; Big issues of our time; History of the world; Fighting with the poor; Bringing it to the public 1; Mastering languages 1; Mastering the material world 1; The teacher and the school of the 21st century; Pedagogy of OWU and DNS; The science of the doctrine of the modern method of teaching and learning; Horticulture and good food; Life style sustainability.|
The International Field of Practice
…where you will travel to western Africa in your own bus.
- Travel overland to Guinea Bissau
- Do field investigations
- Learn about globalisation and capitalism
- Share your experiences back in Europe
EXPERIENCING AND UNDERSTANDING THE EUROPEAN REALITY
Working and living as a community in a bigger European town; living an active cultural and political life with weekly evenings in “The House” and with continued studies.
Foundational studies and specializations in the campus as well as second year exams.
|DOING WHAT YOU FIND MOST APPROPRIATE TO DO
A self-organised period to test teachers’ skills. Each student decides what to do – individually or together with others and sets out on the adventure of the lifetime.
|Subjects||Big issues of our time; Contemporary Europe; The future of Europe; Bringing it to the public 2; Mastering languages 1; Mastering the material world 2; The teacher and the school of the 21st century; Pedagogy of OWU and DNS; The science of the doctrine of the modern method of teaching and learning; Horticulture and good food; Life style sustainability; The world of politics; The world of arts.|
The European Field of Practice
…where you will experience & influence a local community somewhere in Europe.
- Live in a European city with your team
- Learn from the working class
- Create campaigns to promote sustainability, peace & education in your local community
EXPERIENCING AND UNDERSTANDING
THE REALITY OF CHILDREN AND TEACHERS IN SCHOOL
Internship period; teaching children and youth in different European school settings; practicing pedagogy, studying theoretical subjects and specialisations after school hours and during weekends.
Studying pedagogical specialisations in the campus; ending with final exams.
|Subjects||Bringing it to the public 2; Mastering languages 2; Mastering the material world 2; The teacher and the school of the 21st century; Epistemology; Pedagogy of OWU and DNS; The science of the doctrine of the modern method of teaching and learning; Teaching practice; The world of politics; The world of arts; Open future; Specialisations.|
The School Reality
…where you will learn the trade of a Teacher
- Teach in a school
- Create projects with your students
- Learn about pedagogical theories
- Hone your skills to become Another Kind of Teacher
Teaching is serious business. Bringing up children and youth to learn the skills and acquire the knowledge and wisdom they need to carry the future of humanity is no small task. Teachers who know their trade are desperately needed.
Teachers who possess an insightful perspective on today’s world, and who are willing to push the boundaries of tradition in their search of ways and means of teaching and learning…
Methods and programmes that will genuinely provide the new generations with the practical tools, the ethics and the human qualities they require to take on life; as individuals, as progressive citizens of their country and as modern inhabitants and caretakers of the globe and its beings.
DNS in cooperation with One World University in Mozambique offers a 3-yr Licentiate of Pedagogy degree which corresponds to a Bachelor’s degree in Pedagogy.
What alumni of DNS do after they graduate
- teachers in mainstram schools in their home countries, eg. Germany, Sweden, Iceland
- teachers at international schools in eg. Mozambique or Oman
- teachers at independent schools in Denmark
- social educators at care homes for challenged youth in Denmark
- coordinators and facilitators for international aid organisations
- pedagogues or social educators at outreach programmes for vulnerable youth
- project leaders at development projects within the realm of education, sustainability and food security
- principals and teachers at teacher training colleges in eg. Angola, Malawi, India
- cooks, independent entrepreneurs, café owners, garden farmers and other trades where they use their DNS skills to educate trainees
- further studies